Saturday, January 23, 2010

First Run Post C-Section

So I have been *dying* to go running since the Dr. gave me the green light, but finding the time for Alan to watch Benjamin has been difficult with his schedule. Not to mention the weather here hasn't been all that great; you either need a snow plow to get to the streets or a boat. So this morning was clear of snow and rain. Benjamin had just eaten and Alan was home. As I was lacing up my running shoes that haven't been worn in I'm-not-sure-how-long; the newscaster said something to the effect of "a hostage standoff located at ____ and ____. SWAT team has just arrived, one person has died." Are you kidding I ask myself? Why on the one day that I have the chance to go running is there a standoff about two miles from me?" Now the question is, do I stay or do I go? They haven't caught the shooter, but they aren't saying much. I decide that I will take my cell phone and just run up to the corner and back, that will be one mile. And that will be a good start post c-section and all, plus no one dares mess with a new mother who hasn't had much sleep and just got the chance to be baby free for a few minutes! So I ditch the idea that the SWAT team is just a few miles from my home and out the door I went.

I am so excited about getting to run that I am almost laughing out loud, I refrain for the neighbors may think I am truly nuts. I tell myself I am going to take it easy and not run fast and to start out walking for 5 minutes. I walk, look at my watch, walk some more, look at the watch, 5 minutes is taking forever, so I ditch my 5 minute rule and start running. As I start running I begin to assess the damage that pregnancy has had on my once fit body.

My legs and feet have not had the extreme effects of pregnancy that my hips have had to endure, so they were off and running like their old self and attempting 8 minute miles. My hips were loose and not wanting to go fast. It was a weird feeling not to have your legs and hips working together. The legs and feet were about fifty feet ahead of the rest of my body. As I am running to keep up with my legs, I assess the boobs. Two sports bras have done a pretty good job of keeping the girls from making more of a bounce than what is in my stride. So I ignore the boobs and focus on why my legs are now at the corner and the rest of me is still half way back. So I stopped to walk and try to get myself back to one person. I stretch and off I went again. A little better. And just the time it was actually starting to feel like I was back to my old self again, there in front of me was my house. Already? I questioned. Insane. How am I already done? Darn.

Maybe next time I will be able to run a little farther and a little faster and as a whole person!

No comments: