Thursday, January 7, 2010

How Time Does Fly





We have survived the first month, Benjamin is now almost 6 weeks old. That first month was the hardest but the most rewarding month of my life. He has grown so much already, little fat rolls have now appeared on his once skinny bird legs. When he cries crocodile tears run down his face and when he smiles it melts my heart.

Benjamin had his first fever last weekend. He had been coughing and sneezing and when I woke up Saturday morning, he felt warm. I took his temp (yep, stuck it you know where) and it was 101.3 I called the Dr. and they wanted to see him right away. They tested him for RSV and checked his white blood count. RSV came back negative, but he wanted to see him back Monday morning to recheck. We went home with instructions to give him infant Tylenol, watch his fever, and how fussy he gets. If he gets so fussy he can't be consoled or his fever stays high despite the Tylenol head to Kosiar Children's Hospital and call him and he would meet us down there. I never thought I would be scared for my child to have a fever. But as the Dr. said with a baby at 5 weeks having a fever it wasn't good. Thankfully his fever stayed down and only spiked once on Sunday. Monday my mom and I headed back to the Dr. and Benjamin checked out just fine.

So now with that behind us and a mark added in the book of parenthood, I am feeling a little more confident and experienced. However, I know I have a lot more to learn!

No comments: